Hummus plays a big part in my diet. On toast, with carrots, cucumbers or celery, smudged on a rice cake, almond crackers, or just on its own with a big spoon straight in the mouth. You really can’t go wrong with hummus. Now imagine what happens when you create a peanut butter hummus! Anyone who knows me, knows that I love peanut butter, so a combination of those two flavours creates snacking heaven. Chick peas, also known as a garbanzo bean is a healthy addition to any diet. It is a great source of protein and fiber, but also contains several key vitamins and minerals known to contribute towards weight loss. Keep it in a jar and it will stay well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Kids also really like this and it makes a great packed lunch option.
This hummus recipe is so simple and requires no cooking – only a food processor.
Peanut butter hummus recipe
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 heaped tbsp of smooth peanut butter (I love and use Meridian Foods peanut butter as it has no palm oil)
- 3 – 4 tbsp of almond milk (I used Provamel)
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 crushed garlic (you can add even more if you are into garlic)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the chickpeas and throw into the food processor.
- Add the peanut butter, almond milk, crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Start pulsing and slowly add the olive oil as you go along.
- Taste for seasoning and you can add more salt and pepper if you like.
- The hummus is ready when everything is mixed well and you have achieved a smooth texture. Sprinkle with paprika and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to check my Spicy Pumpkin hummus it is delicious!!
Author Hedi Hearts